The Number of Visits to JoJo The Dog Face Girl's BlogSpot

Saturday, September 18, 2010

It's a dog's life

A face that only a mother (and father) could love.
Meet Relode.  He's one of those once in a life time dogs.  Loves his Daddy more than anything.   He's a sweet heart... a true loving dog that obeys and is just happy to be in the same room as his Dad.

I call him "Big Sexy"
He's getting older... has severe arthritis in his hips.   Has a lil hop in his walk now from stiff hips.   (I feel his pain)   He can't hear so well anymore... (I can relate to this as well..ha) at night we flash the porch light to get his attention.    We take good care of our dogs... I think our vet bills exceed our doctor bills...lol.    So, in good faith, I know we've done everything to assure his good health.   Age is his enemy now.  (TOTALLY relate to THAT)
This is his new thing.... stretching out his back!   

Kinda looks like it feels good...  I think it's a "two-fer".. He get's a back scratchin' and stretches his joints.    (Looks much like his dad when he stretches...lol)  Roxie is a bit curious when he does this too...

He's a good boy and shakes off the dry grass before coming inside... 

He's been on my mind alot lately... watching him get old isn't easy.   He use to stand at attention when he saw you wearing camoflage.... panting hard... and running back and forth to the door.

This morning when Ron and Ryan got ready to leave... Relode went to the utility room and laid down for a rest.   A true sign of his age.   Ron already planned to not hunt him this year anyway... but I have to say... it made me sad.   We LOVE our dogs.   They are our babies.   I tease my husband that he loves Relode more than me... he always jokes back.. that when I'm willing to fetch his ducks in 20 degree weather... he'll love me more. 
The dog can have it!  


See why I call him Big Sexy?   He was so strong and regal in his day.  This was in 2008...  

SO... it is sad to not see him eager to hunt even, but a relief all the same...   when his Ron dared go hunt without him, he sat at the door and whined for hours. ( I can relate to this as well...lol.. only I don't sit at the door and whine till he comes home...usually just go with him)

There is nothing more peaceful than sitting in a blind with my husband watching the sun rise, enjoying nature.. (Bet Relode can relate to me on this one)


1 comment:

  1. Can I make a few suggestions about his arthritis as a veterinarian? He is a good weight - well done! Hip arthritis can do pretty well with joint supplements such as Dasuquin, as well as anti-inflammatories and other prescription drugs as needed. Check out my blog if you want to http://www.dogarthritisblog.info/ and good luck.

    ReplyDelete