The Number of Visits to JoJo The Dog Face Girl's BlogSpot

Friday, August 20, 2010

There was this one time... at a fire station...


When my Jake was 3 years old, we lived in Marshall, Texas.
Jake LOVED fire trucks.   I always told him that if we ever saw the firemen out there, I'd stop and we'd ask if they'd show him the firetrucks.  He begged every time we passed by for me to stop and ask.  

July 4th 2001, Jake and I had gone to the Independence Day Celebration in Marshall.    On our way back home, it was dark, but when we passed the fire station, Jake saw a fireman standing out front of the station.   So I turned around and went back to see if they'd show him the fire truck.

I park and get out of my Bronco.  As I walk closer, I realize they are playing basketball... without shirts on.    I told them just how badly my son wanted to see the firetruck and asked if it would it be OK for him to look at one of the them.  They put their shirts on and said they'd even let him sit in one if he wants.  One of the firemen recognized my Bronco, he passed it on his way home everyday apparently. 

Sooooo, I go get Jake from his car seat in the truck.   I'm wearing a red athletic type skirt and a white shirt and tennis shoes.  And am toting Jake on my hip.
As we get closer, his hands begin gripping me tight.  Then as I walk inside the garage near the firemen, Jake begins to wail," I hate fire trucks, mommy nooooo  I don't want to see them.... noooooo!"    

I was mortified.   Absolutely mortified.   Ugh!

I was saying," I swear he's begged to see them"
Jake crying, " I'm scared of fire trucks,  noooo mommy, nooo"

The firemen.. were amused.

I know I looked like a single mom using my kid as an excuse to talk to the shirtless firemen.  

Did I mention I was mortified?
(To this day, it's a running joke anytime we pass firemen, trucks or fire stations about how I'll use my kid as bait or my fondness for firemen.   In all fairness, this COULD explain why I married me a Fire Marshal)

I was thanking the nice young firemen of Marshall for their time, making apologies for my son's screaming and told them I was going to leave with my squalling kid.

They offer to let me go up in the big fire truck.   Ummmm, did I mention the red skirt was about mid thigh?   So, yeah... I declined.

So... a few weeks later my home phone rings and it's the fireman who recognized my Bronco.  Still not sure exactly how he got my number!   He was really was a nice guy.   So... I went on a few dates with him after that.   Well...  up until the night we were in his truck on our way to a movie and his CB radio went off and his buddy asked him if he was out with "that lil nurse in the bronco that brought her kid up here?".

Did I mention I was mortified?

1 comment:

  1. OMG, Jo! This had me laughing out loud! Somehow, I was reading it & could hear how your voice would sound if you were telling this story. Great story!

    ReplyDelete